Professor Emeritus William Samuel Colhoun Hare, AO

WSC-HareBallarat Grammar 1931 – 1936

• MBBS (University of Melbourne)
  • Honorary Member, Radiological Society of North America
  • Deceased 2013

Bill was Australia’s first professor of radiology and an internationally recognised pioneer in his field. He introduced coronary angiography techniques to Australia, a revolutionary improvement in the diagnosis of coronary artery disease. Bill became a world authority in radiology of analgesic nephropathy, and his sub-speciality – expertise in diagnosis and treatment of kidney diseases – rendered him a respected international uroradiological authority. Using techniques derived from angiography, often using new instruments he designed himself, he replaced open operations requiring general anaesthetic, by draining obstructed kidneys, stenting blocked ureters and removing renal or ureteric stones, all under local anaesthetic.

His last book, Medicolegal Radiology, was published in 2009 when he was aged 85. He was awarded the extremely rare honours of honorary membership of the Radiological Society of North America in 1984 and of the International Society of Radiology in 1994.

In 1999, Bill wrote to David Perrin (’89) c/o the Old Grammarians’ Association. “I have happy memories of BGS which I attended from the early thirties until 1936 when I moved to Geelong GS because my father was transferred. Otherwise, like my two much older brothers, I would have completed my schooling at good old BGS. It is wonderful to hear from some of my close friends that the School is going from strength to strength.”