Statement from Bishop Garry Weatherill, Anglican Bishop of Ballarat.

The Anglican Diocese of Ballarat believes that the Church and its associated organisations should be safe places for all people.

I am very sad that sometimes in the past, this has not been the case, and I was deeply distressed to learn of abuse reported by past students of Ballarat and Queen’s Anglican Grammar School.

On behalf of the Diocese of Ballarat I apologise unreservedly for any harm caused by this abuse.

If anyone would like to discuss his or her experiences with me, I extend an invitation to come to see me. Please contact my Office. I would be happy to meet with you. I also invite you to report any abuse or suspected abuse to the Police, The Diocese, the School or our independent Director of Professional Standards.

Ballarat Grammar, ably led by Headmaster Adam Heath, and the Bishop and the Anglican Diocese of Ballarat, have a close working relationship. Both have procedures in place for screening employees and all who have contact with children, and both work actively towards providing a safe environment where all people can thrive.

The Rt Rev’d Garry Weatherill

Bishop of Ballarat

Contact details:

Police Task Force Operation SANO 03 86904378

Office of the Bishop              03 53311183

Ballarat Grammar                 03 5338 0804

Director of Professional Standards            1800 135 246